The Sun is hiring
Posted on: January 15, 2013
We need a full-time managing editor at The Sun, a nonprofit, ad-free magazine in its thirty-ninth year of publication. This position is in our editorial office in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- In collaboration with the Editor and Publisher, shape the long-term editorial direction of the magazine.
- Work closely with editorial staff to plan and develop each monthly issue and guide it to completion. As necessary, help with editing, writing, and proofreading.
- Oversee The Sun’s editorial and production process; ensure that all deadlines are met.
- Manage the editorial staff. Ensure quality, accuracy, and timeliness of work.
- Solicit new writing.
- Evaluate manuscript submissions.
- Oversee and coordinate the publication of anthologies of writing from The Sun.
- As needed, provide editorial support for special projects such as direct-mail brochures, fundraising letters, grant proposals, and website content.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Editor and Publisher.
- At least five years of editing or writing experience for a magazine, newspaper, book publisher, or equivalent environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for managing other people with skill and compassion. At least three years of personnel-management experience is preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style is preferred.
- Impeccable organizational skills and a meticulous and exacting eye for detail.
- Ability to work gracefully under deadline pressure. (A sense of humor helps.)
- Clear communicator who listens respectfully to others and can work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office in Windows.
The ideal candidate is well acquainted with the political, cultural, and philosophical ideas discussed in The Sun and is engaged by the tone and spirit of our publication. This person understands that The Sun is more than just another magazine and that this is more than just another job.
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including paid vacation and personal days, fully paid medical insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, and a retirement-savings plan.
Our office environment is informal; there’s no dress code, no corporate veneer — just a group of people who take pride in their work and in the magazine. Although the atmosphere is friendly, the responsibilities each staff member carries are substantial. Being able to work quickly, efficiently, and accurately is essential.
The Sun is an equal-opportunity employer. We recognize the value of diversity, and we encourage all interested individuals to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
If you can make at least a five-year commitment, please send a letter of interest and a résumé to the address below. We’re interested in thoughtful, personal cover letters that tell us something about your qualifications and the way you think. Applicants who are unfamiliar with The Sun are strongly urged to read the magazine before writing.
Re: Managing-Editor Position
107 North Roberson Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
No e-mails, phone calls, faxes, or surprise visits, please. Also, please don’t contact us to inquire about the status of your application. We have a small staff and much to do. You’ll hear from us after we’ve reviewed your application.We appreciate your interest and patience. View All Announcements