The Sun is hiring
Posted on: December 30, 2015
We need an associate editor at The Sun, a nonprofit, ad-free magazine in its forty-third year of publication. This full-time position is based in our editorial office in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
The associate editor actively solicits new writing for the magazine and works closely with authors on revising and editing their work for publication. The associate editor also reads and evaluates submissions and helps shape the long-term editorial direction of the magazine.
- Solicits writing from new authors and previous contributors.
- Works closely with authors to develop and revise their writing, often through multiple drafts.
- Edits text for publication.
- Reads and evaluates manuscript submissions.
- Cultivates and maintains good relationships with publishers, agents, literary organizations, and other potential sources of magazine content.
- Impeccable writing and editing skills. Because we sometimes edit prose quite heavily, we’re looking for a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves editor who is not afraid to cut, clarify, or otherwise improve a piece of writing. We want someone who does not make arbitrary or hasty changes but who also doesn’t hold back out of deference to the author. (All changes are subject to the author’s approval, of course.) Fast, accurate work is essential.
- At least five years of editorial experience at a magazine, book publisher, or newspaper, or in an equivalent environment.
- Familiarity with the type of writing published in The Sun and the ability to cultivate writers who are well-aligned with the magazine’s sensibilities.
- A keen awareness of the literary landscape.
- Clear communicator who listens respectfully to others and can work effectively in a collaborative environment.
The ideal candidate is engaged by the tone and spirit of our publication and understands that The Sun is more than just another magazine and that this is more than just another job.
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including paid vacation and personal days; fully paid medical insurance, dental insurance, and disability insurance; and a retirement-savings plan.
Our office environment is informal; there’s no dress code, no corporate veneer — just a group of people who take pride in their work and in the magazine. Although the atmosphere is friendly, the responsibilities each staff member carries are substantial. Being able to work quickly, efficiently, and accurately is essential.
The Sun is an equal-opportunity employer. We recognize the value of diversity in the organization, and we strongly encourage all people to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
If you can make at least a five-year commitment, please send a letter of interest and a résumé. (Do not send a curriculum vitae or additional materials, such as books or writing samples, at this point.) We’re looking for thoughtful, personal cover letters that tell us something about your qualifications and the way you think. Applicants who are unfamiliar with The Sun are urged to read the magazine before writing.
Click here to apply online, or mail your materials to:
Re: Associate Editor Position
107 North Roberson Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
In your letter, let us know how you heard about the job.
No e-mails, phone calls, faxes, or surprise visits, please. Also, don’t contact us to inquire about the status of your application. We have a small staff and much to do. You’ll hear from us after we’ve reviewed your materials.
We appreciate your interest and patience.View All Announcements